Sunday, July 10, 2005

"I am recommending you for the program"

Those were the comforting last words I heard from Professor Timothy Herrman as I completed my IPT application interview, while he scribbled something down on my interview sheet.

I'm in!

Earlier in the day (yesterday), I attended the orientation session, where we met our professors and fellow students. There's a whole lotta cheeseheads. And then me: the lonely Minnesota Vikings fan. Should be fun come NFL season...

We learned more about the program, and what we will be expected to do (simply put: a lot of work).

A couple highlights:
  • Among the "Fundamental Convictions" underlying the design of the program is this gem: Pastoral theology takes the universal call to holiness as its foundational principle.
  • Another "Conviction": Truth transcends the politicization of liberal and conservative. Amen to that! (Somebody, quick call the Democratic and Republican Party offices...)

One final anecdote which I believe illustrates what I can look forward to: During lunch, while out with 6 other students (still for all practical purposes strangers to me), I was the last to arrive with my food to the table. Instead of all chowing down right away, as a group they had waited for me to come, so that we could all say grace together. In public. What a great witness to the Faith!

Yes, these next three years will be edifying...

2 Comments:

At 7/17/2005 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so proud of you!! --and we are excited for you. May God grant you all the graces necessary for you to prepare for your classes --and may these studies increase the great love you already have for Him -- so you may share it with others.

 
At 7/17/2005 8:32 PM, Blogger Mr. Dad said...

Thanks!
Keep me in your prayers - it's gonna be a tough road ahead, and I'm gonna be a busy boy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home