Friday, October 21, 2005

Barbara Nicolosi

If you're not familiar with the work of Barbara Nicolosi, you should be. Really.
She's on a mission to evangelize hollywood, and more specifically, make sure that hollywood produces quality output from both an artistic standpoint and a moral standpoint.

I have her blog linked in my "links" page, but here it is again: http://churchofthemasses.blogspot.com

Anyway, here is an interview of her. My favorite part is her recounting of her time of vocational discernment in the convent:
I spent my twenties as a member of the Daughters of St. Paul. As a congregation dedicated to evangelization with the media, I spent countless hours during those years, in front of the Blessed Sacrament, praying for the media and for media makers. Also, trying to stay awake, by the way. I am very grateful for those years. They seem to me now to be some kind of extended retreat that I needed to brood over all of the themes that come into play everyday in my work now in Hollywood.

I left the Daughters after a kind of Sound of Music scene with my Provincial Superior. She crying and saying "Barbara, you are a hard person to send away, but we think God is calling you somewhere else." And me crying saying, "I'll change. I'll change. Don't make me go!" But inside, I was actually relieved. Really.

It's served me well to have gone through that whole trauma-and it was traumatic. It's given me a profound sense of inner shrug that gets me through otherwise daunting challenges. When you've been thrown out of the convent during the worst vocation crisis in the history of the Church, what else can the world do to you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home